Zweizig v. Northwest Direct Teleservices, Inc., 3:15-cv-02401-HZ (D. Or.)
Represented a technology manager unlawfully retaliated against by a former boss via derogatory blog articles. Unanimous jury verdict for $1 million noneconomic damages. (
The Oregonian) Defendant's appeals dismissed by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Zweizig v. Rote, No. 18-35991 (9th Cir. June 16, 2020)
This case is currently before the Oregon Supreme Court on the following certified question of law: “Does Oregon Revised Statutes § 31.710(1) cap the noneconomic damages awarded on an employment discrimination claim under Oregon Revised Statutes § 659A.030?”
, 962 F.3d 484 (9th Cir. 2020). Zweizig v. Rote
- Co-counsel with
Jim Vogeleand the Oregon Law Centerin Cole v. Kraft Heinz, 18-cv-02121-SU (U.S. District Court, Pendleton Division). Represented a factory worker who was fired while on leave caring for a critically-ill family member.
- Represented IT Director of a public entity in whistleblower retaliation litigation.
- Represented underpaid workers in minimum wage litigation in state and federal courts.
- Defended technology company against former employee's claims for unpaid commissions.
- Represented employees in actions against employers for violation of crime victim protection statutes.
- Defended tech startup against breach of contract claims from former employee.
- Represented fire chief in public whistleblower claims.
- Obtained O-1 visa for design director at creative studio
- Obtained O-1 visa for chef
- Obtained O-1 visa for scientist
- Obtained P visa for musical group to tour the United States
Legalpad.iowith immigration software prototyping
- Represented employees—executives, entrepreneurs, healthcare workers, engineers, creative talent, salespersons, etc.—in private contract review and negotiation matters.
- Pursued breach of contract claims for employees in mediation, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Attorney, Portland, OR (2010- Present)
Advise and represent employees in legal matters involving employment contracts, employee rights litigation, and work visas. Super Lawyer "Rising Star."
Associate Attorney, Mitra Law Group, Portland, OR (2009-2010)
Represented employees in employment litigation at high-volume plaintiff-side practice.
Law Clerk, Nicholas & Butler LLP, San Diego, CA (2006-2007)
Consumer, business, and employment litigation.
Conflicts Analyst, Foley & Lardner LLP, Milwaukee, WI (2005)
Screened new matters for large international law firm.
Lawyer Referral Service, Milwaukee Bar Association, Milwaukee, WI (2003-2005)
Fielded calls from the community and referred to appropriate lawyers, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and other community resources.
Volunteer Paralegal, UW-Milwaukee Legal Clinic, Milwaukee, WI (2001-2003)
Supported staff attorney in landlord/tenant and consumer law cases.